The Self Reflection Essay – Michael Centeno

Michael Centeno
Professor Schulte
English 11000
Self-Assessment Essay
Self-Assessment Essay

I am very surprised about how much I have learned in English 110 in this Spring 2021 Semester. I believed it was just gonna be another boring English class, filled with reading novels about topics I didn’t care about, to writing long essays about topics I had very little interest in. I was delightfully proved wrong. I have learned so much about techniques in the English language, and I learned more about this beautiful language in general. I learned about the several variations English is spoken, by different intersectional groups, such as English spoken by immigrants of all races, African-American English, and the “traditional” way of speaking English, one could say the academic version. I believe I accomplished the nine objectives this class layed out at the beginning of this class in February, and I believe this essay will prove this.
The first-course object of English 110 is “Recognize the role of language attitudes and standards in empowering, oppressing, and hierarchizing languages and their users, and be open to communicating across different languages and cultures.” I believe I have recognized this objective by learning about the ways English impacts immigrant groups and African-Americans, whether it was by reading and analyzing “Mother Tounge” by Amy Tang, which talked about the experience an immigrant from China and her mother went through when coming to the USA and learning English, to learning and reading and analyzing June Jordan’s “Nobody Mean More to Me Than You… “, which introduced to me the concept of African-American English, and why it is unfortunately looked down upon by some traditional English speakers. The next objective in English 11000 is “Explore and analyze, in writing and reading, a variety of genres and rhetorical situations.” This class had a long list of variables in the types of genres, from website readings to full-on excerpts. Different genres of reading were also offered in this class. “Develop strategies for reading, drafting, collaborating, revising, and editing” is the next objective. I learned all about drafting, collaborating, revising, and editing in deep detail in this class. Revising my papers, drafts, and several other assignments. I collaborated with several of my classmates via Zoom Breakout rooms, and we revised each of our assignments and papers, and then, gave each other tips and tricks on each of our assignments. The next objective of English 110 was “Recognize and practice key rhetorical terms and strategies when engaged in writing situations.” This objective occurred in every assignment for English 110. The next objective of this class, “Engage in the collaborative and social aspects of writing processes.” This class has helped me tremendously with social anxiety, through the collaborative writing process. It improved my writing and was probably one of the most fun aspects of English 11000. Collaboration via Zoom improved my work tenfold. The next class objective is “Understand and use print and digital technologies to address a range of audiences.” This objective is very important in an online-natured semester. Digital technologies were our ONLY way to address a range of audiences, whether it was the professor or our classmates. Print and digital technologies were our only way to communicate with our professor and classmate and get a grade. The next class objective is “Locate research sources (including academic journal articles, magazine and newspaper articles) in the library’s databases or archives and on the Internet and evaluate them for credibility, accuracy, timeliness, and bias.” This objective was used mostly for me during the time where I had to write my research paper, and I had to choose reliable sources for our paper. The next class objective for English 11000 is “Compose texts that integrating your stance with appropriate sources using strategies such as summary, critical analysis, interpretation, synthesis, and argumentation.” This happens with all of the assignments in English 110. The last course objective is “Practice systematic application of citation conventions.” Like the eighth course objective, this objective occurred in lots of assignments that I completed for English 110. Overall, this was an excellent class. It helped me grow more as a person and helped me learn things I didn’t previously know in the English language.