Phase 3 Cover Letter

Michael Centeno
Professor Schulte
English 11000
Phase Three Cover Letter

In Phase Three, I wrote my first, true Research Essay. At first, I was a bit intimidated by the assignment. It had to be around 5-6 pages long, with a lot of citations that had to be used. Also, I knew that the subject that this paper covered had to be complex, so I chose a subject that I was sincerely interested in, the Spanish language and its place in the United States, and why it is looked down upon. This subject hits close to home, because Spanish was my first language, and my family and I have been discriminated against on several occasions due to the language we spoke. These experiences motivated me to write this research essay, and ultimately, made the 5-6 pages of writing go by relatively quickly.
First, I had to choose my eight sources. This was difficult for me because finding reliable sources on the internet isn’t easy. After I found my eight reliable sources, I then had to write about my sources, and compose my introductory paragraph. I wanted to write an introductory paragraph that was impactful and made sure it was something that caught the reader’s attention. I hope I achieved that. Next, I had to skim my light sources, so ultimately I think I chose 4-5 sources to use for my paper. When I finished my introductory paragraph, I then started on my paper, full force. This was actually rather easy. I enjoyed writing my paper, and while I was writing my paper, I learned several things throughout the way, things that I thought I had a firm concept on, but turns out I didn’t. Ultimately, I believe that Phase 3 was my favorite phase of this class. I learned more about my native language through this assignment. Through this assignment, I felt more connected to my native language, and it was ultimately a very beautiful thing. I felt several different emotions while writing my research paper. Emotions such as anger, pride, and intimacy towards both the Spanish and English languages were felt. Overall, I really enjoyed this assignment.